Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Momma Bear


I have debating blogging about our little trouble with Zoey or not. I finally decided that maybe it can help someone else. WARNING THIS IS VERY LONG!

About 3 months ago Zoey started stuttering and I just thought it was a little thing she was going through. Well it kept going on and occasionally was pretty bad. I used to tell her "Zoey slow down and speak your words." Well it just gradually started getting worse. My moms friend works for Prime Time For Kids in the speech development she said " it is VERY common for children between the ages of 2 and 3 to develop stuttering habits because their little brains are going so fast that they can't get out all the words that they want to." I was in aww I just knew that it was something that I had done wrong like spank her bum to much or make her feel insecure. But she also said "do not correct her and do not let people make fun of her." I thought to myself oh that won't be hard no one will even say anything. Much to my amazement some people can be plain out RUDE about it. And I even caught a friend of mine making fun of her. I think I am having more of a problem with this than she is. I hate to see my little girl made fun of or teased because she is different. I can only correct those I hear and hope they have enough decency to stop.

I am SO overly protective of my kids and when someone says something about her stuttering I just want to bite their heads off. I have to remember that seriously some people don't know better and weren't taught any better.

Zoey has her good and bad days and there will be days that she doesn't even stutter and then there are days that it is SO hard to understand her. I just have to be patient. And I think God has given us this trial for me to learn Patience. I have struggled with Patience in the past and for some reason we have been given this trial and I think its for me to learn Patience.
Its amazing how God works isn't it.

We are dealing with this very head on and we have noticed that when we do her flashcards with the ABC's or the numbers she actually doesn't stutter as much. Zoey is such a strong little girl that I just know she will get over this little bump and if not we will deal with it.

4 comments:

Hope said...

A child with a stutter can be very frustrating and worrisome. Our 2nd child had (has) one, but as he has gotten older it's gotten so much better. I'm confident he'll continue to improve. Good luck!

Ashley said...

Good luck Marlie! You are such a good Momma so i'm sure it's not something you did! we'll keep you guys in our prayers

Nicole Hacking said...

Sister- she is the cutest little zoey ever!! and heads up, i have had 2 nephews and a neice go through this, You are strong and Zoey is not different... she is totally normal and SO SO Smart!! Your the best.. and you and me both can learn patience together! haha love ya and good luck

ALL ABOUT US said...

anyone caught making fun of my little girl will be taken off the friend list and I will make sure your ass is kicked on top of that!!! Love Zoey's Dad Brigham!!!